Gail is a professional storyteller and teaching artist. She works in schools, libraries, colleges, and community organizations. “I love working with people to bring out their creativity and uniqueness. I am writing books simultaneously: Tall Tales with Students, Tales of Mischievous Martha, my mother-in-law, and Organic Storytelling! I’ve lived in NY, NJ, CT, NH, MD and just moved back to MA.” Gail has taught and performed stories on 4 continents and 40 US states.
Dr. Herman has published the following stories:
- Mischievous Martha: True Tales from an Orphanage, about her mother-in-law’s experiences growing up in a Jewish Orphanage from 1916-1925.
- “The Four Wise People” (inspired by folktales in West Africa and Puerto Rico) in an anthology called Spinning Tales; Weaving Hope published by New Society Publishers;
- “Juan Bobo and Sisi” (inspired by a folktale in Puerto Rico) in an anthology called Joining In: Audience Participation Stories and How to Tell Them published by Yellow Moon Press.
- “Saint Patrick and the Musical Leprechau” (an original story) in Holiday Stories All Year Round: Audience , published by Libraries Unlimited, Westport, CT.
- Sylvester and the Grumps published by Organic Storytelling, 11 Russell Ln. Easthampton, MA 01027. email@example.com. A story about how to stop bullying in its tracks through ending the vicious cycle of put-downs.
- Other stories available upon request.
- Songs and Stories of Creative Creatures (2001) Dr. Gail N. Herman, 11 Russell Lane, Easthampton, MA 01027. [CD] Music is by Dr. Sally Stephenson and Elaine Wine.
- Creatures of our Minds Eye (1986) Dr. Gail N. Herman, 11 Russell Lane, Easthampton, MA 01027: Organic Storytelling
- Stories from the Tall Tale Liars’ Festival (1997) 11 Russell Lane, Easthampton, MA 01027: Organic Storytelling
Dr. Herman has written stories in articles and about curriculum with storytelling, art, creative movement, and gifted students in such magazines as:
- Better Homes & Gardens
- Parenting For High Potential
- Teaching for High Potential
- The National Storytelling Journal
- The Roeper Review
- Early Years
- Gifted Child Today
- Art Teacher
Chapters in books:
- Active Learning published by University School, University of Tulsa
- Tales As Tools published by the National Storytelling Network
- Nurturing Gifts and Talents of Primary Grade Students, published by Creative Learning Press
- Telling Stories To Children published in 2005 by the National Storytelling Network
Dr. Herman is a contributing author for the book The Storytelling Classroom: Application Across the Curriculum published in 2006 by Libraries Unlimited.